SEEKING BOARD DIRECTORS with Lived Experience
Two voluntary roles
intertwine is a not-for-profit harm-prevention organisation seeking to expand its Board comprised of skills-based Directors who also have lived experience of intersectionality.
intertwine’s vision is of communities, organisations and services that are inclusive and just, in a participatory society where all people have opportunity, representation and access to power.
intertwine supports organisations to achieve this vision through assistance in developing and implementing appropriate intersectional policies and structures, delivering diversity, inclusion and consent training and workshops and providing HR support.
The inaugural managing director is Rosanne Bersten, a campaigner and communicator with more than 20 years experience working in media, not-for-profit organisations and progressive political parties. There are currently five Directors, with varying levels of Board experience, and we seek an additional two Directors to join the Board. There is also an Advisory Board currently comprising seven members with lived experience of intersectionality.
The Directors will be motivated by the challenges and responsibilities of the role and committed to actively contributing to positive impacts while overseeing the strategic direction of the organisation.
As intertwine acknowledges the additional burden placed on people living at the intersections of inequalities, we intend for all Board positions to be shared roles and to match each less-experienced Board member with a more experienced Mentor.
intertwine is a not-for-profit company limited by shares, registered as a charity with the ACNC. It is listed on the Register of Harm Prevention Charities and therefore has DGR status.
The role requires attending monthly board meetings and participating in and contributing to strategic conversations around:
- Finance and Remuneration
- Strategic Risk Management, and
- Advocacy and Policy
Other commitments include attendance at stakeholder and member events, and at the AGM and annual strategic planning workshop.
- Oversee, approve and monitor strategic vision and direction
- Evaluate the performance of the Managing Director (MD) annually
- Monitor the integrity of financial systems and reporting of the organisation
- Oversee risk management and legal compliance of the organisation
- Provide strategic advice and direction to the MD
- Provide high level strategic and financial advice aligned with individual experience and professional background
- Be an advocate for the organisation and promote its mission and values to communities.
Applicants will be considered on the following criteria:
- An understanding of and adherence to best practice governance standards;
- The ability to form a working relationship with the Board members and CEO;
Targeted skills and experience:
We’d love to see candidates with some of the following:
- Lived experience of intersectionality, for example, (noting that this list is not comprehensive) two or more of the following characteristics: Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, person of colour, LGBTIQA+, person from a culturally and/or linguistically diverse background, disabled person, neurodiverse person, identifies as a woman.
- Experience with campaigning or advocacy, especially in areas of social justice;
- Start-up/NFP, social enterprise business development skills and experience;
- Experience in content development and online learning platforms;
- Knowledge of impact and outcome evaluations, quality management systems/frameworks, preferably with experience in implementation;
- IT and digital transformation;
- Understanding of government, crowdfunding and philanthropic funding processes;
- Legal expertise and understanding of organisational structures;
- Familiarity with consensus as a decision-making model
- Prior Board governance experience;
- Willingness to mentor less-experienced Board members
- Strategic planning experience
Interested applicants will be required to submit a cover letter addressing the selection criteria and a current CV to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed by the existing Directors and the managing director, and short-listed applicants will be contacted for a video interview.
Please send any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unsuccessful applicants may be offered a voluntary position with the Advisory Board to the Board of Directors instead.
Want to know more? get in touch
0402 148 489
Yes, I’d love to be considered for the intertwine Board
Please indicate in your application how you would use your lived experience to develop intertwine as an organisation. intertwine encourages applications from First Nations people and acknowledges that we are conducting business on colonised land.