intertwine is looking for a casual communications intern for approximately four hours per week. Although the role will be small to begin with, we hope to continue to grow and hours may increase down the track. The role would suit a recent Communications graduate or someone with experience in activist communications. Campaign communications training (Common Cause, race-class narrative, Pass the Message Stick) and training in communications tools will be provided.
You will join a small but enthusiastic team of people working to create social justice transformation through training and education, networking and communities of practice and community resources.
- Conduct research into current events and social trends relevant to intertwine’s activities, with specific attention paid to intersecting social justice issues
- Draft social media messages for posting on social media channels as directed
- Draft and update web pages for use on intertwine’s web site as directed
- Draft email and fundraising campaigns from time to time as required.
- Monitor and report on social media activities in the sector
- Draft communications strategies for specific events and campaigns as required
- Prepare reports analysing public engagement with intertwine’s communications channels.
Key selection criteria
- Solid understanding of intersectional feminist theory, critical race theory, the social model of disability and queer theory
- Commitment to intersectional social justice
- Experience drafting messages for publication
- Experience with design and layout
- Experience in assessing and analysing materials using an intersectional lens
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desirable: Familiarity with Meta Business Suite, WordPress, Canva
- Desirable: Lived experience of intersecting inequalities
This position is currently identified as a casual or part-time level 3 position under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award. Entry level graduates start at pay point 3.
Work from home (if in Naarm, then possibility to work from Victorian Pride Centre)
Send a cover letter addressing the selection criteria along with your CV to email@example.com by 5pm April 11, 2022.
intertwine has a commitment to employing people with different skills and life experiences. First Nations people and people with lived experience of intersecting inequalities are strongly encouraged to apply.
intertwine’s vision is of communities, organisations and services that are inclusive and just, in a participatory society where all people have where all people have health, wellbeing, representation & self-determination.
We aim to eliminate marginalisation and oppression through dismantling systemic power structures and removing structural barriers. We do this through education, engaging and connecting diverse communities and organisations and fostering resilience, intersectional inclusion and self-empowerment
intertwine takes a primary prevention approach to help organisations understand the underlying drivers of physical, emotional and sexual abuse and that creating the circumstances for gender equity, cultural and racial justice, freedom of sexuality and gender identity and a social model of disability will result in a society with lower rates of harm by others and lower rates of self-harm by those affected.
Our training materials, public information sessions and information guides outline the ways that intersecting privilege and marginalisation are the underlying drivers of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Our policy guides suggest practical approaches to reduce the harms caused by these systems, including clauses for use in human resources, approaches for marketing and communications, improvements in member and client relationships and planning accessibility for online and offline activities.
intertwine has a Board of Directors and an Advisory Panel consisting entirely of people with lived experience of intersecting disadvantage. It explicitly mentors and creates work for young people with lived experience of intersecting disadvantage.